The Committee on Exceptions (COE) was established to address the occasional warranted exception to policy or procedure. If you feel such an exception can be justified, you may complete and submit your application by logging into your SURF account. Before you submit your petition, please carefully read the policies for required documentation and acceptable reasons for exceptions related to different requests. Please be advised, petitions that require supporting documentation that are submitted without supporting documentation will be denied.
Reasons to submit a COE application
- Course Repetition
Students petition to repeat courses for a few different reasons; including fourth attempts, significant lapse of time and recency requirements, significant change to industry of licensure standards, or extenuating circumstances.
- Dismissal Reinstatement
Students petition to be reinstated from dismissal status and can enroll without sitting out a full semester.
- Priority Enrollment
Students petition for priority enrollment when they have lost priority due to 90+ units or probation status.
- Drop a course with no record
Students petition to drop courses with no record and a refund to ensure an evaluative grade or a “W” is removed from their record, along with a refund of tuition fees.
- Withdraw after deadline
Students petition to retro-actively withdraw after the 75% deadline to have an evaluative grade replaced with a “W” withdrawal.
Students petition other requests for pass/no pass changes, refund of non-resident fees, and other appeal requests.
All requests for a grade change from an evaluative symbol to a "W" (Withdrawal) or No Record must be made within three years of the date when the grade was posted and initiated by the student prior to the Instructor Change of Grade Form being processed. Please note we cannot make exceptions to state or federal laws or regulations.
How to submit your COE application online
- Log on to your SURF.
- Click on "Student Forms" tile.
- Click on "General Forms".
- Click on “New COE Application” to begin your application (Please disable your pop-up blocker, the application opens on a new tab)
- Check your information at the top of the page.
- Select the reason for your request and carefully read the information provided.
- If you select either Drop a course with no record OR Withdraw after deadline, you must enter the course information in the details box. Use the magnifying glass to select the term first, and then use the magnifying glass to select the course. Please ensure you are selecting the right course and type in your last date of attendance.(All requests for a grade change from an evaluative symbol to a “W” (Withdrawal) or No Record must be made within three years of the date when the grade was posted and initiated by the student prior to an Instructor Change of Grade Form being processed.)
- Provide a brief explanation for your petition in the comment box even if you have
- If you are petitioning to repeat a course, you must enter the course information in the comment box so the committee will know what course you are requesting to repeat.
- Use the File Attachment tab at the top of the page (or the bottom of the page) to provide supporting documentation of extenuating circumstances.
- Review all of the information you entered: the reason for the request, the details box with course information (no record or withdrawal requests), the comment box (with course information if petitioning for a repeat), and the attachment tab.
- Click the Electronic Signature Box and save button to submit your petition.
Reminder, petitions that require supporting documentation that are submitted without supporting documentation will be denied.
How to check the status of your COE petition online
- Log on to your SURF Account
- On the Student Center screen, in the bottom right hand corner box entitled "MiraCosta Online Forms," click the link to the Committee on Exceptions online request form.
- This page will provide an application number and status, below are the status stages
of a COE application:
- Pending- waiting for proper documentation to move forward to committee
- Screened- proper documentation obtained and application is waiting for approval/denial from committee
- Not Applicable- the application was done incorrectly or was not COE related
- Approved- application approved
- Denied- application denied