As a student, there may be times when personal stressors interfere with your academic performance and/or negatively impact your daily life. If you or someone you know is having difficulty meeting basic needs such as food, housing, or transportation, or experiencing other personal and academic challenges, MiraCosta’s CARE Team is here to provide support and/ or help you get connected to appropriate resources.
You may fill out a CARE referral form to request assistance, or schedule free mental health counseling sessions at Health Services or by calling 760-795-6675. For after hours crisis management, you may call 1-888-724-7240. As a faculty member, I also may refer students about whom I am concerned to the CARE Team. This is part of who we are as a caring, proactive community where we all look out for one another.
How to Refer a Student
There are several ways to refer a student:
- Bring the student to the health center for a warm hand-off: rm. 3326 on the Oceanside campus, open M-Th 8am-7pm, and F 8am-3pm and rm. 917 on the San Elijo campus open M-F 9am-3pm.
- Call us while the student is with you on Zoom: 760.795.6675 for the Oceanside office and 760.757.2121 ext. 7747 for the San Elijo office.
- Guide the student to fill out our appointment inquiry form.
- Fill out a CARE referral form on the student’s behalf. *Be sure and let the student know you have done so, and that a staff member will be reaching out.
- For additional info, check out the Jed Foundation's Faculty Guide to Supporting Student Mental Health.
For Classroom Presentations
Health Services offers in-person and Zoom presentations for students about our medical and mental health counseling services. Presentations are typically 15 minutes, but can be adjusted to be shorter or longer with advance notice. Pre-recorded presentations for asynchronous classes are also available. To request a presentation, please fill out the form below:
Peer Educator Program
Do you know a student who is passionate about reducing stigma around seeking mental health help? Please consider recommending that student for our Health Services’ Peer Educator student worker program! Please email Abby at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.