Students with Service animals do not need to register or notify the college that their service animal will accompany them on campus.
Administrative Procedure (AP) 3334 outlines the Process for Service Animals on Campus. A couple other quick distinctions:
- A student with a Service Animal does not need to register with SAS/DSPS.
- Service Animals are trained to mitigate the impact of a disability through their actions.
- A student can be provided info about SAS as a FYI (so that we can possibly support them with other accommodations, if applicable) but not as a requirement for use of the Service Animal on-campus.
- A student requesting to use an Emotional Support Animal (or Comfort Animal) does need
to register with SAS, as this would be a request for accommodation that SAS would
need to evaluate and authorize.
- Emotional Support or Comfort Animals mitigate the impact of disability by their presence.
- A student should be provided info about SAS if they’re seeking to use the ESA on campus (+ we’d seek to support them with other accommodations, if applicable).
Please contact SAS with any questions: email@example.com or call 760.795.6658.