Improve Your English. Improve Your Future.
Achieve your personal and professional goals with MiraCosta College’s free English as a Second Language (ESL) program. Seven levels of ESL are offered during the morning, noon, and evening hours. The program also offers classes in citizenship, workplace ESL, conversation, computers and digital literacy, and reading and writing skills.
What Can I Expect?
Succeed in learning the English language or prepare to be a citizen with courses including:
The ESL program offers seven levels of ESL instruction that cover listening, speaking, reading, and writing, along with vocabulary and grammar development. Short, 8-week terms of intensive English study allow students to move on to their next goal in education at a more rapid pace.
Beginning and intermediate classes provide a safe and secure environment for students to improve their listening and speaking skills. Classes start with basic word recognition and progress to more advanced conversation.
Reading & Writing Skills
Beginning and intermediate classes give students the opportunity to advance their reading and writing skills in a supportive and friendly environment. Students advance from producing simple sentences to being able to communicate their ideas in complete paragraphs.
Students improve their ability to listen, speak, read, and write about a variety of workplace-related topics. Some skills include interpreting informational texts, writing job-related documents like resumes, and responding to questions during interviews.
This 48-hour, open-entry class allows students to work at their own pace, while getting personalized instruction and completing individualized citizenship assignments. Computer access, instructional videos and packets are provided free. Learn More
Computers & Digital Literacy for ESL
Improve employability by advancing your basic computer skills. Students learn how to identify parts of a computer and create basic documents and presentations.
5 Reasons to Attend MCC’s English as a Second Language Program
- No Cost To You
Free classes, books and materials, support
services, food pantry, and more.
- Flexible morning, noon, evening, in-person,
online, and hyflex classes.
- You do not need to know any English
to take classes.
- Classes are open to community members
regardless of education level and
- Safe and supportive learning environment
with caring and passionate faculty and staff.
Become Part of a Community!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Apply to MirCosta College
- Go to SURF
- Create a SURF account. Please see page 6 for instructions. You will need to create a password in order to use SURF and access your classes online.
- Complete Placement & Orientation
- Optional: Meet with a Counselor
- Noncredit counselors provide guidance by creating an Education Plan, help students select classes to meet their goal, and direct students to resources for mental health and personal care. To chat with a counselor or make an appointment, email email@example.com or visit miracosta.edu/clc.
- Register for Classes Using SURF
MiraCosta College’s noncredit Career-Track ESL courses will help you explore career options, prepare to get a job, improve your English skills for your current job, or prepare to study for a career.
Students may enroll in the course where they practice English to get a job, communicate in the workplace, work as part of a team, and complete important speaking, reading, and writing tasks and projects related to work.
Students can study modules to help them gain vocabulary and reading skills in one of these in-demand career fields:
- Automotive Technology
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Child Development
- Computer Information Science
- Customer Service
- Office Systems
- Travel and Tourism
- Noncredit ESL Courses, Catalog and Program Outcomes
- ESL Newsletter-The Communicator
- ESL Program Mission Statement
About the Continuing Education Division
Community Learning Center
Adult Education Office
Continuing Education Events
MiraCosta College’s Continuing Education Division offers student events throughout the year that celebrate culture, diversity, and community.
Meet the MiraCosta Team
Our administrators, faculty, and student support specialists are dedicated to your success. We invite you to connect with us!