This is a full time program, beginning every summer. Please refer to the current Class Schedule for course days and times. However, the schedule is subject to change without notice.
Studies show that nursing students who work more than 24 hours per week (even in the health care setting) tend not to be successful in an RN program. It is highly recommended to restrict working hours.
Admission Requirements and Application
Effective May 2020, we are requiring a passing score of 62% on the TEAS Test for the LVN-RN program.
Applications are accepted on an on-going basis and students we be added to the established waitlist.
Eligibility Requirements for the LVN-RN Program
ALL of the following must be met in order to be eligible to APPLY to the LVN-RN Career Ladder Program.
- California Vocational Nursing License and six months work experience working as an LVN is preferred.
- Completion of the following science PREREQUISITES with a combined G.P.A. of 2.5 with no grade less than "C" for each course and no more than one repetition for a substandard grade or withdrawal in any one of the 3 courses:
- Human Anatomy (BIO210) – 4 semester units or equivalent
- Human Physiology (BIO220) – 4 semester units or equivalent
- Microbiology (BIO230) – 4 - 5 semester units or equivalent
- Completion of the following PREREQUISITES with a grade of no less than “C”
- Composition and Reading (ENGL00) – 4 semester units or equivalent
- Intermediate Algebra (MATH64) – 4 semester units or satisfy competency in mathematics.
The two most common ways are:
Pass a MiraCosta College mathematics course numbered 64 through 270 or equivalent with a minimum grade of "C" or "P;" OR
Through the use of multiple measures based on previously completed coursework, including high school. Students can check their current mathematics placement in their SURF account and can also self-update their multiple measures through the Assessment and Testing service.
- Pharmacology Review & Update (PHAR201) – 2 semester units or equivalent
- Students who do not meet the G.P.A. or course repetition requirement should check with the Nursing Department for other options.
- Those students holding a bachelor’s degree in another discipline from a U.S. regionally accredited institution will not be required to take any other general education requirements for the A.S. Registered Nursing degree.
One official transcript in a sealed envelope from each college and university attended, with the exception of MiraCosta College, must be submitted with your application to the program.
Starting in fall 2020, transcripts are also accepted electronically. If this is not available, the Admissions and Records office may send an official PDF version to email@example.com. We do still accept official transcripts in a sealed envelope as well.
If you took a prerequisite course in a foreign country, foreign transcripts must be evaluated by a credential evaluation service for determining U.S. equivalency.
All students must pass the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS), version ATI TEAS, with a score of 62%. This is a diagnostic test that covers basic Math, Reading, and Science. Students may prepare for this test by going to the ATI testing site and then go to ASSESSMENTS; go to Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS).
Non-Degree 30-Unit Option
Any LVN licensed in the state of California is eligible to apply for the Non-Degree 30-Unit Option LVN-RN program, for which MiraCosta College acts as a facilitator. This program is prescribed by the Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) and provides an RN license for California only. Other states may not recognize this option. A maximum of 30 units of nursing and support courses is required to fulfill the unit requirement for licensure by the BRN. This program is offered as space allows. Please contact the Nursing and Allied Health Department for course requirements.
Denial of Licensure
The California Board of Registered Nursing may deny a license regulated by the Business and Professional Code, Section 480, on such grounds as: being convicted of a crime, acts of dishonesty, fraud or deceit. All students selected for enrollment in the nursing program will be assessed for past criminal activity prior to clinical experiences. Please contact the Program Director if you have questions.
For applicants who are notified that they have been accepted for enrollment in the program, there are additional requirements
- Health Requirements: Applicants selected for enrollment in the program must have a physical examination, laboratory tests, and immunizations just prior to starting the Nursing Program. The student must be free from communicable diseases, infections, and must be able to perform the essential requirements of the program with or without reasonable accommodations for disability.
- Orientation and Advisement Session must be attended once accepted for enrollment in the program.
- ALL nursing students in ALL programs will be required to complete the background check and urine drug screen BEFORE BEGINNING THE NURSING PROGRAMS IN SAN DIEGO - THIS IS A HOSPITAL/HEALTH CARE AGENCY REQUIREMENT. Students will be given the information to obtain these requirements at the orientation and advisement.
If you have any convictions on your background check in the last 7 years, you will not be eligible to start the program.
The Associate Degree nursing program at MiraCosta College meets the state educational requirements for a Registered Nursing license in the state of California. MiraCosta College has not determined if the associate degree nursing program at MiraCosta College meets the state educational requirements in any other state, any U.S. Territory, or the District of Columbia.
The National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) has resources that may be helpful.
Board of Registered Nursing
1170 Durfee Ave. Suite G
South El Monte CA. 91733-4400