What Can I Do With This Major? (WCIDWTM)
- What can I do with this Major?
- The San Diego Work Portal is a project of the San Diego Workforce Partnership. It includes valuable labor market information for job seekers including local employment statistics and projections by industry.
- Employment Development Department Occupational Guides: Summary guides of occupations that include job descriptions, job outlook and wages, and qualification requirements.
- Employment Development Department Labor Market Info: The site also includes a self-assessment thar identifies your interests and skills and includes links to other valuable information on conducting a job search and job trends.
Check out these great resources - no appointment necessary.
- My Next Move: This interactive tool helps students and job seekers learn more about themselves and their career options. The O*NET Interest Profiler offers personalized career suggestions based on a person’s interests and level of work experience.My Next Move has tasks, skills, salary information, and more for over 900 different careers. My Next Move is developed and maintained by the National Center for O*NET Development, under the sponsorship of the US Department of Labor/Employment and Training Administration.
- California Career Zone: The California Career Zone site offers a brief assessment of interests based on Holland’s codes. It also has a 30 minute Interest Profiler that helps students explore vocations based on their interests. The Work Importance Profiler helps students explore their values in the workplace. All assessments are free of charge. There is a fun section called Reality Check that helps students explore their preferred lifestyle and the cost of that lifestyle.
Informational Interviews are a great way to gain inside information about a particular occupation. Make an appointment with a career counselor to learn more about this method of job exploration or view this site: