Faculty members play an important role in the service learning process. Each year, instructors from a wide range of disciplines incorporate a service component into their curricula, adding a new dimension for learning. From child development to astronomy, students are engaging in community activities that increase learning, support community needs, raise awareness on cultural competency, and provide practical experiences.
- Faculty Handbook
- Ready to include Service Learning into your courses? Complete the following forms to register your course with the Service Learning & Volunteer Center. Forms can be emailed to Bea Palmer, Program Manager.
- Service Learning: Course Registration Form
The service learning staff is dedicated to supporting faculty involvement in community based learning. The program coordinator can help instructors:
- Incorporate a service component into the syllabus
- Identify appropriate service activities and placements that meet student learning objectives and outcomes
- Provide on-going training and support
- Connect with experienced faculty members for advice
- Offer classroom orientations
- Assist in the development of reflection activities and assignments
- Ensure that paperwork and liability issues are covered
To learn more about incorporating a service component into the curriculum, contact Bea Palmer, Program Manager at 760.795.6618 or email@example.com.