The Volunteer Program is very similar to service learning, but does not require students to be enrolled in a class that offers service learning. This program also connects students with community. Any student can participate in this program and earn two certificates:
- MiraCosta Volunteer Service Award: requires 50 documented hours of volunteer service in any non-profit organization or public school within one year.
- MiraCosta Presidential Volunteer Service Award: requires 100 hours of volunteer service at any non-profit organization or public school within one year.
Deadline to submit volunteer hours is April 15, 2023.
Start Here! - Register as a volunteer participant
Welcome to the Volunteer Program for 2022-2023 school year! Our center staff is pleased to serve as a hub for your volunteer hours and to assist you in finding community service engagement placements for your volunteer experiences.
In order to start your Volunteer History profile and gain access to the service database, you will need to first register as a Volunteer Program participant through the link below:
You only need to register once while you are a student at MiraCosta College. Once you have registered through this form, our staff will then enter you into our service database. After we enter you into our service database, we will send you an email confirmation with our service database link so you can log in and add your volunteer history. We will also provide instructions on how to submit proof of volunteer hours.
You will be able to log in to your service profile using your SURF ID number and date of birth. You can access your profile at any time using the service database link.
If you need one-on-one help, please email us at email@example.com so our staff can help you get started.
Benefits of registering your Volunteer Hours
- Learn about virtual and in-person service opportunities on campus and in the community
- Be the first to find out about service scholarship opportunities
- Be informed about campus and community service events
- Receive our Service Learning & Volunteer Newsletter
A Culture Of Service To Our Community
At MiraCosta Community College we value our community and service to others as an opportunity to help students build cultural and social capital. The Service Learning and Volunteer Center helps students connect to service opportunities and helps students track their volunteer hours. Students who document and submit proof of hours to the Service Learning and Volunteer Center can receive recognition for their service upon completing 50 or 100+ hours. These hours are often used to explore career paths, connect course-work to real world experiences, apply for scholarship applications and to incorporate these experiences onto transfer applications.
Join Our Team And Discover The Power Of Service!
"It is easy to get caught up in a busy lifestyle, but it takes just a couple of hours to remind yourself why you are really here and the purpose of life." - Kaley Badger, MiraCosta Student
Are you a student who likes to help others and make a difference in the community? If so, the MiraCosta Volunteer Program is for you! Join our team of enthusiastic students who change lives and improve communities. Students who enroll in this rewarding program will:
- receive information about volunteer events and opportunities
- be invited to special events and gatherings
- record their volunteer hours and receive a service history document
- be eligible to apply for service/volunteer scholarships
- explore careers and network with professionals
- have the opportunity to work with diverse groups of individuals
- develop a sense of civic responsibility for the issues that impact your community
- write about these experiences in their personal statements when application for UC or private schools
- be eligible to earn awards
- 50-99 service hours: MiraCosta Volunteer Service Award
- 100+ service hours: MiraCosta Presidential Volunteer Service Award
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about this exciting program and to receive a volunteer booklet.