LGBTQIA+ Academic Counselors are available to meet with LGBTQIA+ students. Students can meet with Lucio Lira (he/they/Éll) or Cyndy Garcia (she/ella) to discuss their academic and professional goals, create their EdPlan, discuss the transferring process, complete academic forms, and more. Appointments can be made through the Academic Counseling website or by emailing Lucio or Cyndy.
Name Change Process
To ensure that an individual's name reflects their identity, MiraCosta College makes it easy for students to change their preferred name. There are two ways for students to change their names:
- Students are now able to change their name online.
- Students can submit a Change of Personal Information form online or at Admissions and Records.
The "preferred name" field is the default field automatically used on class rosters and student ID cards, on Canvas, and to borrow items from the college library.
Note: The Office of Admissions and Records does not currently require any documentation to add or update a preferred name. If students wish to change their primary (Legal) name, documentation is required. For more information about legally changing your name and gender in the State of California, check out this informative page from the California Courts.
Update Your Pronouns
In Canvas students are able to select their pronouns. Find the instructions to update your user profile and add your pronouns here. Students have the option to choose between the following pronouns on Canvas:
- Ze (or Zie) / Zir (or Hir)
- E/Ey/ Em/Eir
- She and They
- He and They
- Use my name
- Any / All
If none of these options work for a student they can add their pronouns by completing the Pronouns Addition Form.
DO NOT USE THIS FORM IF YOUR PRONOUNS ARE LISTED ABOVE.
Please note that the district reserves the right to deny the request of pronoun additions
that do not align with district standards. MiraCosta College values diversity, equity,
and inclusion. Please note that it is inappropriate to
misuse this form for anything other than adding your pronouns that are not currently listed as optional
pronouns within Canvas. Misuse of this form could be a violation of Administrative Procedure 5500:
Standards of Student Conduct and will be referred to the Office of Student Affairs.
Gender Sexuality Alliance Student Club
The Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA) is one of the oldest recognized student clubs at MiraCosta College. Formerly known as the Gay Straight Alliance, the club’s mission includes strengthening the LGBTQIA+ community through social activities and community service, promoting acceptance and tolerance by embracing diversity, and advocating for human and civil rights.
The GSA club meets regularly during the Fall and Spring semesters. To learn more, check out their Engage Page.
Endowed Student Scholarships
There are multiple student scholarships available for LGBTQIA+ students and active allies. More information about these scholarships is available on theMiraCosta College Scholarship website; tax-deductible donations to all scholarships may be made at the MiraCosta College Foundation website (please put name of scholarship in donation notes). The current scholarships available are:
- GSA Club Scholarship - In the spring of 2014 the Gender Sexuality Alliance Club (formerly known as the Gay Straight Alliance Club) successfully endowed a scholarship fund by raising more than $25,000.00. The annual GSA Scholarship awards $1,000.00 to a current MiraCosta College student who identifies as a member of - or an active ally to - the LGBTQIA+ community.
- Joe Maak & Pride Resource Partners LLC Scholarship - In the fall of 2016, the Joe Maak & Pride Resource Partners LLC scholarship endowment was created and a $1,000.00 scholarship will be awarded annually to an LGBTQIA+ student or active ally.
- Trans* Pride Scholarship - In the spring of 2017 MiraCosta College made history by fully-endowing the Trans* Pride Scholarship. This scholarship focusing on transgender and gender non-conforming students in higher education is the first scholarship of its kind in the world.
- Queer and Trans People of Color (QTPOC) Scholarship - In the spring of 2017, students and employees established - and began fundraising for - the Queer and Trans People of Color (QTPOC) Scholarship. Highlighting the problematic climate for queer and transgender people of color both inside higher education and out, this scholarship seeks to raise visibility for - and conversations about - the unique and specific needs of QTPOC individuals. Donate here.
Rainbow Stoles (for Commencement)
Rainbow commencement stoles for graduating LGBTQIA+ students and allies are available for purchase at the Oceanside Campus Bookstore.
Mental Health Resources
MiraCosta College provides access to a number of mental health resources for both students and employees. Student resources include free and confidential individual, couples, and family counseling with the Mental Health Counseling team in Health Services. More info may be found on theHealth Services website. Employee resources can be found on theHuman Resources website.
Focusing on a variety of topics related to sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression; the Prism Collective is an initiative of the Student Equity Department and Health Services for LGBTQIA+ students. This space allows students to share their experiences in an affirming space while building community. To learn more about this student group please visit Health Services.