Due to the efforts of MiraCosta College students, staff, faculty, community members, loved ones and their families, it is essential that MiraCosta Community College reiterates its proud history of providing high-quality educational opportunities to students seeking to attend our institution, regardless of immigration status. In particular, I would like to highlight the efforts of past and present Movimiento Estudiantil Chicanx de Aztlán (MEChA) de MiraCosta College students, as well as the people who have been involved in Undocumented People Rise in Solidarity and Empowerment (UPRISE), Dream Keepers, and Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS).
We want to affirm that we accept, support, and stand with all undocumented and mixed status students, staff, faculty, community members, loved ones, and their families. The district remains dedicated to their personal and educational success. MiraCosta College is deeply committed to supporting a campus climate and environment that is welcoming and safe for our undocumented and mixed status students, staff, faculty, community members, loved ones, and their families. As a result, we adhere to the principles as follows:
- MiraCosta College welcomes and encourages all undocumented and mixed status students to apply for and attend the college.
- MiraCosta College will not release any personally identifiable student, staff, faculty, community member, loved one, and family information, including any data related to immigration status, without a judicial warrant, subpoena or court order, unless authorized by the student or required by law.
- MiraCosta College will not cooperate with any federal effort to create a registry of individuals based on immigration status.
- The MiraCosta College Police Department will not detain, question, or arrest any students, staff, faculty, community members, loved ones, or their families solely on the basis of undocumented immigration status.
- MiraCosta College will continue to advocate for educational and professional opportunities for undocumented and mixed status students, staff, faculty, community members, loved ones, and their families in the community college system and at the local, state, and federal level.
We also proudly support the efforts of our Undocumented People Rise in Solidarity and Empowerment (UPRISE) team, which is a collaboration between California State University San Marcos and MiraCosta Community College to bolster academic success, enhance professional opportunities, improve personal wellness, strengthen institutional support, and increase allies for undocumented students and their families in North County San Diego. UPRISE offers free services to students and loved ones, including legal consultations, emergency safety planning for immigrants, family nights, peer networking events, mental health counseling, academic and career counseling, entrepreneurship training, civic engagement and advocacy training, and a textbook loan program.
MiraCosta College remains devoted to accessible, high-quality education in an environment that promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. Please join our work in creating a supportive and safe campus for our incredibly resilient undocumented and mixed status students, staff, faculty, community members, loved ones, and their families.
Sunita V. Cooke, Ph.D.
For more information on UPRISE services and program, call (760) 757-2121 ext. 6203 or contact:
UPRISE Student Services Specialist
UPRISE is a service of the Department of Student Equity. For general inquiries about all Student Equity programs and services, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our main office at 760.757.2121 x6900.