Please note, the Chemistry Challenge will be offered remotely for the fall 2020 semester. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to schedule an appointment.
The CHEM Challenge Exam is available to those with chemistry knowledge, but without (documented, grade C or better) 1 year of HS chemistry lecture/lab credit or without pre-requisite CHEM 140 (previously CHEM 108) credit.
Chemistry Challenge Exam Information
- 44 multiple choice questions (scantron needed)
- 45 minute time limit
- Basic or scientific calculator allowed (provided by Testing Center)
- 25 correct responses are needed in order to register for CHEM 150
- Results will be emailed within 2 business days.
- Students have one opportunity to take the Chemistry Challenge Exam (no re-testing)
- If you do not pass the exam, you will need to register for CHEM 140.
A link to the Course of Record (COR) for CHEM 140, the pre-requisite class for CHEM 150 is provided below:
It lists the topics you are expected to know and provides some guidance for study before taking the exam. You are only able to take the challenge exam once, so please STUDY before taking the exam! If you need a chemistry textbook to review for the test, one can be checked out from the library.
The Testing department administers the exam on Oceanside campus, San Elijo and Community Learning Center campuses year round. The exam is offered during regular drop-in hours, no appointments needed.
Please call 760.795.6685 for more information.