Please note, the Chemistry Challenge will be offered remotely and for limited in-person appointments for the Fall 2021 semester. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to schedule an appointment.
The CHEM Challenge Exam is available to those with chemistry knowledge, but without (documented, grade C or better) 1 year of HS chemistry lecture/lab credit or without pre-requisite CHEM 140 (previously CHEM 108) credit.
Chemistry Challenge Exam Information
- 44 multiple choice questions
- 45 minute time limit
- Basic or scientific calculator allowed (calculator must be approved by proctor and will be provided for in-person testing)
- 25 correct responses are needed in order to register for CHEM 150
- Results will be emailed within 2 business days.
- Students have one opportunity to take the Chemistry Challenge Exam (no re-testing)
- If you do not pass the exam, you will need to register for CHEM 140.
To review for the Chemistry Challenge Exam, self-enroll into the Canvas course (must have a MiraCosta SURF ID and login) and take the Chemistry Challenge Exam Prep Course.
You are only able to take the challenge exam once, so please STUDY before taking the exam!
Appointments are required. Please email email@example.com to set up your appointment. We will send you a confirmation email with exam details and more information. If you are taking the exam in-person at our Testing Center, we will provide you with a scientific calculator and periodic table. You will also receive an invite to your email to join the Chemistry Challange Exam on Canvas.
Below are the requirements needed for a Zoom proctoring session:
- A secure, private testing space. No other people are allowed in the testing space
- Other electronics must be powered off and put away
- Materials allowed: scientific calculator, periodic table provided with your confirmation email and clear scratch paper
- A scanner or mobile app, such as Adobe Scan or the scanning feature within “Notes” on the IPhone
- A functioning webcam AND microphone
- A picture ID ready to show BEFORE you begin the exam
The Course of Record (COR) for CHEM 140, the pre-requisite class for CHEM 150 is provided for your reference.